SQUID is a versatile ingredient. These mollusks are delicious sautéed, braised, grilled and our favorite, deep-fried as calamari. The key is not to overcook them, since they become tough, chewy and flavorless.
Here is a healthy cold salad recipe. When you poach the squid just right, they are tender and sweet. The chimichurri dressing is great to make ahead and keep in a bottle for other use.
Chimichurri squid with fried leeks and roasted onion
4 calamari, cleaned and cut into 1-inch thick rings
1 tsp good olive oil
1 small white onion, sliced
1 leek, thinly sliced
3 cups of frying vegetable oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Char the sliced onions over an open flame (stove top) until softened and slightly browned. Set aside.
2. Heat frying oil in a medium pot, deep fry the leek slices until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
3. Bring a small pan of water to a boil. Poach the squid for about one minute, drain and put in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
4. Drain and set aside. Be careful not to overcook them. Toss the squid rings with 4 tablespoons of chimichurri dressing.
5. Plate and enjoy.
1/2 cup of good olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of fresh Italian parsley, packed
1 cup of fresh cilantro, packed
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 dried red chili
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Pulse all ingredients in a processor, about 20 pulses.
2. Pour the dressing into a bottle, it can be refrigerated up to 1 week.
3. We add this delicious dressing on steak, grilled chicken and prawns, in salad dressings, or even as a pizza base.