WHO doesn't love a comforting, steamy bowl of mac & cheese? Our version has an addictive garlicky flavor and a little cayenne heat.
All of the ingredients can be found at City Shop or Pine's Market. We have made a big batch, so to heat left overs up the next day, just mix in a little milk, heat and grate extra cheese on top. Enjoy!
1 package tiburon or macaroni, 250g
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
4 cups milk
2 cups loosely packed sharp or medium cheddar, grated
2 cups loosely packed Gruyere, grated
Half tsp cayenne pepper
A small pinch of nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper or white pepper
1. Cook the tiburon pasta according to the package directions, about six minutes. Drain well.
2. Warm milk in the microwave for three minutes.
3. Heat three tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan, add minced garlic and flour and cook for about two minutes, stirring with a whisk.
4. Lower the heat and while whisking, pour the hot milk in. Continue to whisk until smooth and thickened. Simmer for five minutes to cook out the raw flour flavor.
5. Take the saucepan off of the heat. Add the cheddar and Gruyere, kosher salt to taste, cayenne and nutmeg. Put saucepan back on the stove with a very low heat.
6. Add the tiburon pasta and stir until combined with the creamy cheese sauce.
7. Season with salt to taste. Ladle mac & cheese into a bowl and serve immediately.