50g peeled garlic cloves
50ml olive oil
500g peeled fava beans
1 clove fresh garlic
Half tsp cumin
Half tsp chili powder
2 tbs of lemon juice
10g mint leaves
20g parsley leaves
1. Combine garlic and olive oil in a small pot with a little salt and pepper.
2. Cook over low heat until garlic is completely cooked through and falls apart to the touch.
3. Set aside and let cool.
4. Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil and blanch fava beans for about 5 minutes or until completely cooked through, plunge immediately in ice water to stop cooking. Set aside.
5. In a food processor combine garlic, oil, beans, spices, herbs, and juice and process until completely smooth, 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and store in fridge for at least one hour before serving.
6. Serve with crostini, pita bread, or crudit?
Spring vegetable soup (for four)
300g diced onion (2cm across)
200g diced celery (2cm across)
150g diced carrot (2cm across)
150g diced fennel (2cm across)
20g garlic, finely diced
20g shallot, finely diced
50g tomato paste
Bunch of thyme
One bay leaf
1. In a medium pot, add onions, carrot, celery and fennel with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Saute over medium-high heat until vegetables have broken down. They should be translucent with a touch of browning on the edges. About 7-10 minutes.
3. Add garlic, shallots, and tomato paste, saute for another 2 minutes or until tomato paste looks roasted and garlic and shallots are no longer raw.
4. Add water and herb bundle and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Remove herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste before proceeding to the next step.
Diced zucchini and squash
Diced green beans or yard beans
1. With soup simmering, add any vegetables before serving. You can choose anything you want to add to the mix but I would recommend three items or less.
2. Cook for 3-5 minutes to retain texture and color. If you have any dried or fresh herbs, add them to soup to finish and taste again for seasoning.