Add:intersection of Qingchun Road and Tiesha River
This is located on the former site of Qingchun City Gate, at the intersection of Qingchun Road and Tiesha River. Its appearance is based on ancient city walls; the first floor includes an arched doorway constructed from gray bricks, while the second floor is a wooden structure with upturned-eaves.
The first floor has two parts.
The northern area focusing on the tales of the Hangzhou city walls and gates - such as when the Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) passed through Yongjin City Gate to go sightseeing at the West Lake.
The southern section focuses on physical materials, minutely depicting the changes of the Hangzhou city walls from the Sui Dynasty (AD 581-618) through to the Republic of China (1911-1949).
A highlight of the exhibition hall is a 10-meter-long painting which portrays the 10 most famous ancient city gates, capturing the landscape of old Hangzhou and the daily lives of its people. This panoramic painting is reminiscent of the renowned hand scroll "Along the River during the Qingming Festival" by Song Dynasty (960-1279) artist Zhang Zeduan.
The exhibition explains how the Tiesha River was ancient Hangzhou's moat, overlooked by more than 10 city gates. While most of the city gates and walls were ruined in time, their bricks and mortar long gone, the names remain. Places such as Qingchun, Genshan and Wulin keep alive memories of those ancient city fortifications.