Add:258 Qingchun Rd
This red-brick structure, in a Western classical architectural style with a baroque building facade, looks conspicuous among the surrounding concrete buildings.
The so-called "Red Building" was constructed in 1910 as Zhejiang High Court of the Qing Dynasty, becoming the Zhejiang High Court during the Republic of China period. After 1949, it became Hangzhou People's Court.
Now, the red building is the exhibition hall displaying the construction history of Hangzhou.
Early in the Kingdom of Wuyue, during the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 BC), Hangzhou was a small county surrounded by hills, but after millennia of development, it was elected capital of the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279) and entered a boom time in construction.
The exhibition hall displays in detail the expansion of the city over the years, from its humble beginnings, through imperial grandeur to the modern Hangzhou.
Exhibits also include tiles and carved wooden pillars from ancient times, the level of craftsmanship showing the sophistication of old Hangzhou.