Add:80, Caoxi Rd.N., near Puxi Rd.
Time:Mon-Sat, 9am-5pm library pass required; Sat, 2pm-4pm open for public
Credit Cards Accepted
English Service Available
The Xujiahui Bibliotheca, also known as Bibliotheca Zi-Ka-Wei, was established in 1847 by Jesuits during Emperor Daoguang’s reign (1820–1850) in the Qing Dynasty (1644–1912). Later in 1956, its valuable collections of Chinese and Western literature were incorporated into the Shanghai Library. A combination of Chinese and Western architectural styles, the Bibliotheca is undoubtedly one of the world’s major repositories of ancient Western books on sinology.
The stack room of Chinese books on the first floor is modeled after the famous Tian Yi Ge library in Ningbo, Zhejiang Province and houses more than 120,000 ancient books categorized as Confucian classics, historical records, philosophical writings, and miscellaneous works and series. The stack room of Western books on the second floor follows the layout of the Vatican Library. The stack room remains as it was when it was under the management of the Society of Jesus. Among the collections of over 80,000 Western publications dating back to the 15th century, the literature on Catholic theology and sinology is the most treasured.