Add:132 Jiefang Rd
This is the oldest Protestant church in Hangzhou. In the 1850s during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), American Presbyterian missionaries preached around Hangzhou, converting locals.In 1868, local Protestants rented a house in Pishi Lane as a church and made a man named Zhang Chengzhai their first minister. However, as the congregation grew, the house was too small.
Zhang's son, Zhang Baoqing, donated money to build a new church and, helped by other donations from home and abroad, Si Cheng Church was eventually completed after the death of Zhang Chengzhai.
In order to commemorate the clergyman, the church was named after one character of Zhang's name. Si Cheng in Chinese means "cherish the memory of Cheng." When the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1937-1945) broke out, the church became a refuge for locals. Between 1942 and 1945, it was occupied by the Japanese.