Add:2 Jesus Lane
Tian Shui Church was built during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) by Huston and Hallemay, two American Southern Presbyterian missionaries. Later, John Linton Stuart took charge of the growing church. In the yard there are towering trees planted by Stuart, which are listed as protected trees by Hangzhou government.
Stuart also presided over establishing a pharmacy and clinic, a Christian girls school, a nursery and other charitable organizations to help the social development of Hangzhou. He died in 1913; thereafter Chinese clergy took over the missionary work. Today, around 600 worshippers attend the church every week.
Stuart's eldest son, John Leighton Stuart ?the first president of Yenching University and US ambassador to China ?was born in Hangzhou and spent his childhood there.