Add:201 Caoxi Rd N.
Virgin Mary Convent was proposed by the Jesuit priest Luigi Maria Sica and established in Hengtang Village in today’s Qingpu District in 1843. It was relocated to the Wangjiatang neighborhood in the Xujiahui area in 1864.
Later the Society of the Helpers of the Holy Souls and other religious congregations of women also moved to the area and built their monasteries around the Society of Jesus in 1868, thus forming a large monastery complex collectively referred to as the Virgin Mary Convent.
The present day Virgin Mary Convent was converted from the only existent main building of the complex in 1926 into a five-story European-style building of reinforced concrete.
The building was leased out after the nuns moved to the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes in the Tangmuqiao Town in Pudong District at the end of the 20th century. It now houses Ye Olde Station Restaurant and exhibits two railroad cars.