Add:158 Puxi Rd
Xujiahui Cathedral is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Shanghai.Since the diocese worships St. Ignatius of Loyola as its patron saint, the cathedral is also known as the St. Ignatius Cathedral.
It was designed by the English architect William Doyle in 1904 and built by French Jesuits from 1906 to 1910.This building adopts a cross-shaped plan and its main body is made of brick and wood. At the front stands a pair of belfries which are both 57 meters high.
On the top of each 31-meter-long spire is a huge cross rising into the sky, making the cathedral a landmark building in western Shanghai.In the nave are 64 skillfully carved columns, and each is composed of ten smaller pillars.In 1989 it was listed by the Shanghai government as a cultural heritage site under municipal protection.