Ma Yifu (1883-1967), was a renowned scholar and calligraphy master, who lived in the building for 17 years from 1950 to 1967. The study on the second floor of an old villa was opened to the public for the first time on September 29. The building in Huagang Park on Su Causeway on West Lake is now the Ma Yifu Memorial Hall. Exhibitions about Ma's life, a selection of his books and calligraphy masterpieces are on show on the first floor. The villa was built by Jiang Su'an, a business tycoon and book collector from Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, for his mother to enjoy in her later years. It combines both Western and Chinese elements and used concrete as a building material, which was unusual at the time. The building created a stir for its uniqueness. In 1950, when Jiang learned that Ma Yifu was looking for a place to house his book collection, Jiang invited Ma to live in the villa.